Sunday, June 7, 2009

How can this be?

I see that Obama has appointed some woman to HHS' Office of Faith-based Initiatives who is not only anti-choice but anti-birth control. I'm at a loss to even respond to this, which supposedly is to help us all achieve some absurd notion of Common Ground. As far as I'm concerned, the choice position is common ground. Women get to CHOOSE what they want to do with their bodies--they want a child, fine; they want an abortion, fine. Who else's business is it? I never feel this is put clearly enough: Pregnancy is a unique condition calling for unique response. A living thing grows inside another living thing; it can't live w/o that container but that container is just as alive and much more independent than the foetus, so obviously the "mother" has first priority. I know these anti-choice people do understand the point; they just prefer to ignore it so they can have control over women. I would expect all of us to lose our marbles one of these days over these outrageous anti-choice people and just fall to the ground kicking and screaming, frothing at the mouth and screaming What the F do they want? But Obama, appointing such a woman... I'm speechless and frothing at the mouth simultaneously.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know about this new piece of disappointing news regarding Obama's choices. Thanks for this posting.